Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Transcribed Letter from Covey

Transcribed from a handwritten letter:


Family, (any family who wants to read it, even extended)


Sorry I really never have time to send emails, only 10 minutes a week. So I just wanted to write a good letter home. This is my second Sunday, and so far this really has been one of the greatest experiences ever. Like I tried to explain in my last email, the food is so amazing (except for the 'cow head soup,' 'boiled cow stomach,' 'cow hoof soup,' 'cow tongue,' and various other parts of the cow). And I am glad to say that I was able to avoid getting travelers's diarrhea, or anything like that, but I will say that I am very inclined to take lots of fiber pills. That's probably TMI, sorry!


The average day consists of class, class, class, class, class, soccer, class, class, class... but I love it. It's amazing how I used to get so bored of 1hr of spanish class back in high school, but now I sit through 8 hrs of spanish a day, and still want to learn more, and faster. It really is such a huge blessing to be able to live with Latinos here. They are so much fun, and so humble. They really are my best friends. It is amazing how strong the Spirit is here. When you are studying, teaching, and memorizing doctrine all day, every day it is amazing how strong you can feel the presence and guidance of the spirit. I cannot even describe just how much my testimony has grown even in just this last week.


Yesterday was one of the those top-10-experience days. Here, every Saturday, they put us on busses, send us to random areas of Buenos Aires, and set us loose in the city to do procelitismos. So, me (who only knows one week's worth of spanish) and my comp. (who I don't think even knows how to ask someone's name in spanish) are alone in the streets of Urban Buenos Aires, and expected to teach. It seriously took every ounce of courage I could muster to open my mouth and for the first time, explain who I was, and that I had a message that can change your life. I cannot even begin to describe just how different the people and houses and cars and streets and shops and everything really is for America. But, the most amazing things happened. As I began to talk to the people, and grow more comfortable with my surroundings, me and my seemingly mute companion were able to get 25 solid street contacts, and set up 5 return appointments! It is so amazing to me! I have 5 potential new investigators, and I haven't even left the MTC! I don't know how it happened, except for that the Spirit was able to touch the hearts of the people who I talked with. There really is no other explination. Yesterday really increased my testimony about the gift of tongues, and the power of the message we carry, and really gave me a taste of just how rewarding and exciting missionary work is! Also, it made me so anxious to progress my spanish as fast as possible, because sometimes it was so frustrating to be inable to express my feelings and share my message because I could not speak the words. But the fact that the spirit was still able to be conveyed is so amazing and refreshing and motivating.


Well, I wish I had more time to more fully explain everything that happened to me yesterday, or more of my other experiences, but I've got to go. I hope everything is going well with everybody!


Love,


Covey

(he added a rubbing of his ELDER WILSON nametag at the end)


No comments:

Post a Comment