Thursday, June 16, 2011

Week Three - Survived My First Natural Disaster


me and some latino buddies


Me and elder Angel. He was my favorite latino. from El Salvador. All tatooed up with bullet holes.


Me and some latinos. With the CCM in the backgound, and the temple under construction.


Me and elder Maloof form paraguay. He is on the national paraguay football team, and i want everyone to know that i scored a goal on him. ya.
_________________________________________

So, I dont know if this made big news in the USA, but a big volcano busted its top in chile about a week ago. When it blew, all the way over here in Buenos Aires we could feel a little earthquake, which wasnt a big deal, and only a few people felt it in the middle of the night. But two days later, I woke up, and looked out of the window, and it looked like a huge dust storm was happening, but really it was the ash fallout. The whole city was covered in a thick layer of ash, it was actually kind of cool to experience a part of a real natural disaster, even though it wasnt fatal to anyone up here in Buenos Aires. For the next days we were in kind of a lockdown, stuck inside of the CCM all day, and everyone was caughing and sneezing. The biggest effect of the volcano here is that the airport has been shut down for the last week, and it still is canceling lots of flights. Also it was kind of cool because the CCM was filled with stranded members from all over the world who were stuck in the Buenos Aires airport. And lots of members who are homeless and didnt wan to live out in the ash (understandably). The sunset every day that week was one of the most amazing things i have ever seen. The entire sky was the color of a red fire extinguisher cus of all the ash, I should have taken a pic.

This weeks menu special - Cow stomach with intestine soup.

This email, I want to talk about the people here at the CCM. Yesterday, all of the latinos that were here when I got here were transfered out to their real missions. They were all so amazing and taught me so much. The averege latino missionary is about half my size, and about 2 to 5 years older than I am. They all have such strong testimonies, and incredible life storeys. About half of them were all covered in tatoos, and three of them had a bunch of bullet holes, but their conversion and testimonies is so impressive. I loveed to hear them tell about how they changed their lives and joined the church. Its sad that I wont ever see most of them again. They were all kind of facinated with me because I was so big (And I look like Ricky Martin appairantly). They all called my elder Capo (Which means like a stud sort of thing), or elder Ricky Martin.

Prolelitismos went really well again for us this week, we had lots of good contacts, but we found 2 new investigators that we feel really good about. One woman and her nephew commeted to go to sacrament meeting, and we have a return appointment for this saturday. She had taken the lessons before from missionaries, and she mentioned that she wants to get baptized, but dosent know a lot. Me and my comp are going to try to commit her to baptism on saturday. It was really cool how me and my comp were walking by, and both felt really strongly impressed to trackt down the street that she lives on, even though it wasnt in the area we planned to trackt through. It was cool to feel just how strongly the spirit guided us. That would be so cool to get a baptismal commitment before I even left the CCM. Also, we found a really humble family of 7 that we feel really good about and are going to teach on sat. Plus I got attacked by a couple dogs, and some guy tried to take my money, but nothing to worry about! I know how to handle myself.

Well, running out of time. Miss everybody! I havnt got any mail yet, but when people do write me, it would be nice if you could send a pick of yourself, your family, whatever, just so I dont forget what you look like, and latinos are really facinated with what northamerican people look like.

Im doing great and learning so much, and getting excited to head out to uruguay!

Thanks!

Elder Wilson


No comments:

Post a Comment